My oldest is at that point in her life where her hair is always in her face. I try so hard to pull it back so it’s pretty and neat and it never stays up. If you come over to my house you will find hair bands in almost every corner because she flings them (and her socks) everywhere the minute I turn my back. She also happens to be in that age of industry where she is so curious about how things work and are made. This cinnamon play dough was right up her alley.
Not only does Playdough help spark creativity, it also helps with dexterity and developing fine motor skills. Small children’s hands are still developing and this is why they are unable to have great control with flatware while eating and penmanship while writing. Playdough helps them practice important fine motor skills like rolling, pressing and scooping. With homemade playdough you don’t have to worry about kiddos ingesting it since it is made with ingredients you find right in your pantry. It is incredibly salty so you won’t have to worry about them taking a bite out of it; however, if they do then there’s really no reason to panic. Try switching up spices or essential oils and colors to make endless fun combinations for your kiddos!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 t cream of tartar
- 1 t ground cinnamon (you may add cinnamon bark essential oil if you want an even stronger scent)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Red food coloring
- Place kettle on stove and heat water to boiling.
- While water is heating sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Slowly add in boiling water mixing well. Be patient, you will be able to mix everything as the water cools down. I advise you to not have your kids help with this part. I am extremely sensitive to cold and heat and I wait about five minutes before I really start handling this.
- Add food coloring to desired color.
- Store in an airtight glass container until ready for use.
This will start to dry out after a couple days. If it gets too dry place it in a bag and add warm water one tablespoon at a time. Knead until pliable.