Making your own candles might seem incredibly daunting, but it’s actually easy and rewarding. They make the perfect addition to holiday dinner tables or would make a fabulous gift. Beeswax candles scented with essential oils are free of the harmful chemicals in store bought candles making these tea lights not only beautiful, but also better for you and your home.
I found these cute little four ounce votives at my local craft store. Four ounce mason jars will work as well – and they have a lid for east gifting. Or, go check out your local thrift store and find some interesting little jars or votives. Your vessel doesn’t have to be expensive or uniform. Make them unique to you!
Start by gluing your wicks to the bottom of your votives. If you don’t glue them you run the risk of the wick moving around while the wax is cooling. Just a simple dot of washable craft glue will do the job, that way you can replace the wick later if you want to refill the candle.
I used my microwave to melt the wax pellets. To stir in between time intervals I used a popsicle stick. Anything you don’t intend to use for cooking or eating will work. Once the pellets start to melt the process will quickly move along. Beeswax on its own can be a bit earthy smelling, if you don’t mind the smell you do not need to add essential oils. If you can’t find gingerbread essential oil a mix of cinnamon, clove and ginger will smell amazing.
I recommend wrapping your wick before adding in the wax. Once you add the wax your wick will droop and you want it to stand upright through the middle of the candle to burn evenly. The outside of the candle will set before the middle as the wax cools. Leave your wick wrapped until the wax has fully set (it will become a darker color than the initial color when it first cools).
- 4 ounce votives or mason jars
- Pre-waxed wicks
- Washable craft glue
- Beeswax pellets
- Gingerbread essential oil (or preferred scent)
- Using a small amount of washable craft glue, secure the base of the wick to the bottom of each of your votives.
- In a microwave safe container, add 2/3 cup of beeswax pellets.
- Microwave on high in 30 second increments, stirring between, until melted.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons (or about 60 drops) of gingerbread essential oil.
- Gently pour wax mixture into votive.
- Wrap wick around a pencil to keep centered and allow to set (about 2-3 hours).
- Trim wick to about 1/4” height.