12 Days of Sweets: Day 1
When the Dalgona coffee recipes took the internet by storm I was already hooked by the idea. Whipped creamy coffee? Yum. I knew I needed to find a way for my daughter to enjoy this fun treat as she loves fancy beverages and foods. Most recently she has started to enjoy hot chocolate – which was where this fun recipe came into play.
Essentially what you’re doing is making a sweetened flavored whipped cream. Using the powdered hot chocolate made this fun for the winter season; however, you can try experimenting with different flavors by swapping the powdered hot chocolate with one teaspoon of flavored extract. Strawberry extract and a bit of red food dye would be very fun around Valentine’s Day. The sky is the limit!
I used my stand mixer with the whisk attachment to whip up the topping. A hand mixer would work as well – just make sure your bowl is big enough as this does grow considering size. If you don’t have an electric mixer and feel up to the challenge you can whip this by hand using a whisk or fork – it will take about 20 minutes of whipping. This would be a great way to get kiddos to help and you can add on a small science lesson about fat molecules, friction and states of matter. Win, win!
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered hot chocolate
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Peppermint sticks and sprinkles for garnish
- Fill six glasses with half a cup of milk each and set aside.
- To chilled mixing bowl add heavy whipping cream, hot chocolate powder, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Using the whisk attachment mix until stiff peaks form.
- Divide whipped topping between the six glasses.
- Add garnish and enjoy!
This recipe yields six servings. Due to the nature of the whipped cream discard any unused product after serving.