Today is my birthday (happy birthday to me)! This year I’m celebrating a bit differently; with the pandemic it’s not going to be a family celebration outside of my husband and our kids. My dad is fighting cancer and with his chemotherapy treatments zapping all his strength we haven’t really spent any time with him. My twin sister also lives four hours away and traveling is not an option right now. This year I decided to treat myself to some birthday cake sugar scrub and it smells divine!
Have you ever read the ingredients on a container of sugar scrub you buy commercially? If you’re curious check it out the next time you shop. This sugar scrub only has ingredients you probably already have sitting in your pantry. The essential oil I used was a gift (I’m not one to waste anything): it has a very faint vanilla smell. If your essential oil has a stronger scent to it you will want to use 7-8 drops rather than 15.
Can you use different oils than coconut oil? Yes! I like the way coconut oil adds a sweet smell to this sugar scrub but you can use almond, grape seed, or even olive oil. Though this smells very yummy I do not recommend ingesting this product or using it on your face.
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 heaping teaspoon of rainbow nonpareils
- 15 drops of vanilla essential oil
- Birthday candle (optional for gifting)
- Melt coconut oil in a microwave safe dish for 30-40 seconds.
- Stir in sugar until well blended.
- Add essential oil and nonpareils and mix gently.
- Store tightly in a glass jar for up to six months (you will probably use this up sooner!).