When the weather starts turning cooler I find myself wanting to use my oven more to cook. This quiche is an easy recipe that takes little time to prepare for a warm breakfast or dinner. to make a lighter version of this – just omit the crust and shorten the baking time!
The bulk of the filling of this quiche is yellow squash. You can absolutely substitute zucchini in (I use the yellow squash to hide the vegetable from my very picky Kindergartener). Don’t worry too much about squeezing the water out. Quiche can handle more moisture than frittata because the crust helps keep everything bound together. Also, the big key to a great tasting quiche is using high quality cheese. You can use generic brand; however, I find my quiches get more of a creamy texture and taste the higher the quality of cheese.
I mix all my filling ingredients together and spread evenly through the crust. Then I pour my egg and milk mixture over top making sure everything gets wet – this helps prevent scorching. It’s very easy to tell when it’s done baking by gently shaking the pie plate. If the mixture is loose then the quiche is not done. If it has more of an elastic consistency then it’s ready!
- 1 pie crust (homemade or pre-prepared)
- 2 cups of summer squash – grated and lightly squeezed
- 7-8 ounces of grated cheese (I prefer cheddar or Gouda)
- 4-5 strips of bacon – cooked and crumbled
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line pie plate with crust, crimp edges and set aside.
- Mix together summer squash, cheese and bacon and evenly spread inside pie crust.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and spices until mixture is frothy.
- Pour wet mixture over top of the squash mixture – making sure everything gets coated with moisture on the top.
- Bake quiche for 1 hour or until the quiche no longer jiggles when gently shaking pie plate and is lightly brown on top.
- Allow to cool for five to ten minutes before serving.
2 thoughts on “Summer Squash & Bacon Quiche”
This looks delicious!
LikeLiked by 1 person