Soup is my comfort food. When I’ve had long, exhausting days or I’m feeling under the weather I pull together a pot of soup for us. There’s just something about it that warms me from the inside out. This chicken and tomato soup is one of my all-time favorite recipes.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s simple. There are big flavors with minimal ingredients. You end up with all the favorite flavors of a creamy tomato soup without all the added salt and sugar. The hardest part is shredding the chicken – otherwise it’s just a mix and wait style recipe with amazing results.
I use my own canned tomatoes for this recipe. You can use store bought canned tomatoes; it tastes amazing with fire roasted tomatoes. I can a lot of my family’s food because I want to be able to know and control what goes into our food. This is a great way to use up a beautiful jar of tomatoes. You can also try modifying this recipe by adding onions or fresh basil. Enjoy with a piece of your favorite crusty bread!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 quart of crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound gnocchi – uncooked
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 t minced garlic
- Salt & pepper
- Add chicken breasts, chicken broth and herbs and spices to crock pot and cook on low for six hours or high for four.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred or dice.
- Add chicken back to crock pot along with tomatoes and gnocchi.
- Cook on low for one hour.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream just before serving.